Music is the most young art of all arts. Here we share 'stuff' about the world's common language and our joy in life, music. Trend pickup show's first corner, 'Music Gguri'. Here we have AG Sungeun, known as the vocal trainer for BTS, Producer 101, I.O.I. and more.
▶ Host Wooram Lee(Editor of MHN)
▶ Panels Rappy(Musician), Soyun Park (MHN Journalist)
▶ Guest AG Sungeun(Singer, Vocal Trainer)
Hello, please introduce yourself
-I'm AG Sungeun, a vocal trainer and singer. AG is the element code for silver which is from 'eun(silver)' of my name
You're one of the most well-known vocal trainer for idol singers with so many students
- I'm currently teaching Twice, I've been close with BTS Jin for a long time and taught Jungguk for a short period too. For Mnet's Producer 101 I taught vocals with Jea and also coached the project team, I.O.I. So thankful that all if them are doing their job well.
How did you get to become a vocal trainer?
- I actually wanted to be a singer. I'm from Daejun, and to an extent where I don't get punished from dad, I wanted to live my dream as a singer outside of Daejun. So randomly, I went to college in majoring social politics at Chungang university. I kept doing music during college and got in touch with MC Sniper.
He asked if I knew how to write songs and I said yes, so I got to work with him. That's when I got to work the song 'Korean'. That led to working with Bachigi, Outsider, Kinetic Flow and more.
-Rappy : Back then I was in the hiphop club at Kyunghee University and AG Sungeun at Chungang's hiphop club. There're several singers from that club such as Miryo, and Skull. AG Sungeun was known as a great singer back then too.
If you could go back, would you change your major to music?
-I chose a major that would satisfy my father's anticipation and make sense to everyone. But if I could go back, I will choose something totally new that's not social politics nor music. I say this to my students too but I want to love more things other than music. My whole life I only focused on music. And just because I worked that hard doesn't mean I can be like Stevie Wonder. I want to enjoy more of life and love more too.
You picked "Woman Cry' as your first song. It's a sad ballad.
-It's a song that I wrote from a break up. We thought we were each other's destiny but we had to face the end of our relationship. This song I sang thinking of when I had to see my lover go away. I tried less melody variations and recorded it without taking breaks between. Feel its raw and in-life-sadness.
Do you want your old lover to listen to this song?
-Now I don't. It was heartbreaking but I did my best for us. If the end of it had to be a break up, I'll take it in.
The second song is released in January 2017, MC Sniper's 'A Man and Woman Going Backwards'. Money and love, it's a song with very honest lyrics. Tell us about it
-One day MC Sniper called up and said "Sungeun, it's time we write a song that's very realistic." This song also has some history. Right before recording i didn't like the bridge part so I changed it over and over again at a coffee shop. To be honest I never went through a relationship like this. But I just took its of many songs and made an imaginary 'AG' and made that Sungeun to sing it.
-SoYun Park Journalist: I never experienced such love but your voice takes me there. It's a love I don't want to experience.
The third song you prepared live. Alley Cat's Nine O'clock.
- I like team sounds so I made a team with four very independent women, the Alley Cat. I wanted to write about love that is very based on instincts. So love before 9 seems too casual, and after 9 seems too in depth. I though 9 O'Clock would be the right time.
How is Alley Cat made?
-Other vocal training friends gathered to make a single together. Alley Cat means street cats. We wanted to steal peoples hearts like cats. So please look up for Alley Cat. Not Allee Cat.
Introduce us your fourth song, Hate U.
- It's a song I sang with Sunny while being together as a team named Jukebox. It's a song that is warning a guy who is scrubbing all women to better watch out. Come enjoy it live at 'Time Factory' in Sillim on April 23rd, 5pm. We have a show that day.
'How can I Do' will be our last song. What's it about?
-This song has a subtitle, 'Letter to Heaven'. It's a letter I am sending to my father who passed away. The day he died, cherry blossoms were floating in air so beautifully. The cherry blossoms remind me of my father all the time. That's what the song is about.
Any last words to our listeners?
- I don't know what I said most of the time, got too nervous. But I do feel like I had fun. Thank you.
- Rappy: It's embarrassing sometimes to introduce your own song as a vocal trainer. I want to ask all to enjoy AG Sungeun's songs instead.
- So Yun Park: I really listened to a lot of songs from Baechigi. I always thought your voice was beautiful, it was such an honor to meet you in person.
As much as the girls from Mnet's Producer 101, the trainers also got famous, because the viewers loved how they appreciated each of the girls' growth. AG Sungeun is now heading on stage to sing her own songs now putting down her status as a teacher of Twice, I.O.I. and many idol groups. Best wishes always!